Lansing Speeding Defense Lawyer
Speeding tickets are an unfortunate part of life for many drivers. While they may be an everyday occurrence, that doesn’t mean a speeding ticket should be taken lightly. Although speeding violations are civil infractions, they can have serious consequences on your driving record and your life, especially if you have accumulated other traffic violations. To find out more about fighting your speeding tickets, contact a Lansing traffic defense lawyer today.
According to the Michigan Vehicle Code, drivers must obey properly posted speed limits. People who fail to comply with these speed limits face fines between $90 and $155 as well as points on their driver’s license. People ticketed for going between 6 and 10 miles per hour over the speed limit face one point on their driver’s license. People ticketed for going between 11 and 15 miles per hour over the speed limit face two points on their driver’s license. Those found violating the speed limit in excess of 15 miles per hour face three points on their driver’s license.
Other Possible Consequences
Fines and points are not the only consequences of having a speeding violation on your record. Your speeding ticket could impact your life in a variety of ways, including:
- License Sanctions – If you have a number of traffic violations and several points adding up on your license, you could face restriction, suspension, or revocation. If you accrue a total of 12 points on your Michigan license, you will be required to attend a driver’s responsibility class and interview. Depending on your record and your interview, you could have your license suspended or revoked and be required to pay expensive driver’s responsibility fees.
- Rising Insurance Premiums – Michigan drivers are required to carry no-fault insurance at all times, and these premiums are among some of the most expensive in the nation. If you have a speeding violation on your record, especially if it is for an excessive speed and/or you have a number of other violations on your record, your insurance rates will go up. If you are a young driver, expect to be hit even harder. Inflated rates may last for up to two years, which is how long any points will stay on your license.
- Background Check – Are you applying for a job, a loan, an apartment, or to be accepted into an institution of higher education? If so, you will probably have to pass a background check. Although speeding by itself will likely not disqualify you from many opportunities, it could call your judgment and character into question and may make you a less viable candidate. If you are hoping to drive for a living, a speeding ticket, especially in conjunction with other violations, could disqualify you all together.
How a Lansing Traffic Defense Lawyer Can Help
Because a speeding violation can affect your life and your driving record in so many ways, many people choose to fight their ticket with the help of a professional traffic defense attorney. Tiffany DeBruin has years of success representing traffic defense clients, as well as the regional knowledge and experience necessary to help you effectively navigate Lansing area traffic courts, prosecutors, and judges.
Every case is different, but your lawyer may explore a variety of possible defense strategies on your behalf, including:
- Speed Limit Was Not Properly Posted – How can you be expected to adhere to the speed limit when it is not properly posted? If a municipality does not live up to its obligations to properly post and maintain speed limit signs, you cannot be expected to know what the speed limit is on any given road. If no sign was posted or if it was obstructed in some way, your lawyer will collect any available evidence to verify your claim and build your defense.
- You Weren’t Speeding – Law enforcement does make mistakes, and maybe you simply were not speeding at all. Your lawyer will interview you, your ticketing officer, any other available witnesses, and collect evidence to show the miscalibration or malfunction of your ticketing officer’s radar gun.
- Good Driving Record – If you have a perfect or close to perfect driving record, your lawyer may be able to help have your speeding ticket significantly reduced or dismissed altogether.